(July 17, 1744 – November 23, 1814)


Elbridge Gerry was born at Marblehead, in the state of Massachusetts, on the seventeenth day of July, 1744. His father was a native of Newton, of respectable parentage and connexions. He emigrated to America in 1730, soon after which, he established himself as a merchant in Marblehead, where he continued to reside until his death, in 1774. He was much esteemed and respected, as a man of judgment and discretion.


Of the early habits or manners of young Elbridge, little is known. He became a member of Harvard College be­fore he had completed his fourteenth year; and of course was too young at the university to acquire any decided cha­racter.


Mr. Gerry was originally destined to the profession of medicine, to which his own inclination strongly attached him. But soon after leaving college, he engaged in commercial affairs, under the direction of his father, and for some years followed the routine of mercantile business in his native town. Great success attended his commercial enterprise; and within a few years, he found himself in the enjoyment of a competent fortune.


It is natural to suppose that the superior education of Mr. Gerry, added to the respectable character he sustained, as a man of probity and judgment, gave him influence over the people among whom he resided. In May, 1772, the people of Marblehead manifested their respect and confidence by sending him a representative to the general court of the province of Massachusetts. In May of the following year, Mr. Gerry was re-elected to the same office. During the session of the general court that year, Mr. Samuel Adams introduced his celebrated motion for the appointment of a standing committee of correspondence and inquiry.


In accordance with this motion, committees of correspon­dence were appointed throughout the province, by means of which intelligence was freely circulated abroad, and a spirit of patriotism was infused through all parts of the country.


Though one of the youngest members, Mr. Gerry was ap­pointed by the house of representatives, a member of this committee; in all the proceedings of which, he took an active and prominent part.


In the month of June, the celebrated letters of Governor Hutchinson to persons in England, were laid before the house by Mr. Adams. The object of these letters, as noticed in a preceding page, was to encourage the British adminis­tration in maintaining their arbitrary measures. In the de­bates which ensued on the disclosure of these letters, Mr. Gerry distinguished himself, and was indefatigably engaged through the year, in forwarding the resolute measures, which combined to overthrow the royal government of the pro­vince. He was also particularly active in the scenes which marked the year 1774. He united in the opposition to the importation of tea, and to the Boston port bill; and heartily concurred in the establishment of a system of non-intercourse .with the parent country.


In the month of August, Governor Gage issued his pre­cepts to the several towns, to choose representatives to meet at Salem, the first week in October. Before the arrival of that day, the governor had countermanded their meeting. Notwithstanding this prohibition, delegates assembled at Salem on the seventh of October. There having formed themselves into a provincial congress, they adjourned to Concord, and proceeded to business. Of this congress Mr. Gerry was an active and efficient member.


On the organization of the assembly, a committee was ap­pointed to consider the state of the province. Fourteen of the most distinguished members of the congress, among whom was Mr. Gerry, composed this committee. They pub­lished a bold and energetic appeal, which, in the form of an address to Governor Gage, was calculated to justify the authority they had assumed, to awaken their constituents to a sense of the dangers they feared, and the injuries they had sustained.


They next appointed a committee of safety, and adopted measures to obtain a supply of arms and ammunition; of which the province was lamentably deficient. They re-organized the militia, appointed general officers, and took such other measures as the approaching crisis seemed to render necessary.


In February, 1775, a new provincial congress, of which Mr. Gerry was a member, assembled in Cambridge. This con­gress, like the former one, published an appeal to the people, designed to excite and regulate that patriotic spirit, which the emergency required. A general apprehension prevailed, that a pacific termination of the existing troubles was not to be expected. They avowed their abhorrence of actual hos­tilities, but still maintained their right to arm in defence of their country, and to prepare themselves to resist with the sword.


In the spring of 1775, the prospect of open war every day increased. A strong apprehension prevailed, that an attempt would be made by the royal governor to destroy such military stores as had been collected, particularly at Concord and Worcester. The committee of safety, in their solicitude on this subject, stationed a watch at each of these places, to give an alarm to the surrounding country should such an at­tempt be made.


A short period only elapsed, before the apprehensions of the people proved not to be without foundation. The expe­dition to Concord, and the bloody scenes which occurred both there and at Lexington, ushered in the long expected contest. "Among the objects of this expedition," observes Mr. Austin, in his life of Mr. Gerry, "one was to seize the persons of some of the influential members of Congress, and to hold them as hostages for the moderation of their colleagues, or send them to England for trial as traitors, and thus strike dismay and terror into the minds of their asso­ciates and friends.


"A committee of congress, among whom were Mr. Gerry, Colonel Orne, and Colonel Hancock, had been in session on the day preceding the march of the troops, in the village of Menotomy, then part of the township of Cambridge, on the road to Lexington. The latter gentleman, after the session was over, had gone to Lexington.    Mr. Gerry and Mr. Orne remained at the village, the other members of the committee

had dispersed.


"Some  officers of the royal army had been sent out in advance, who passed through the villages just before dusk, in the afternoon of the 18th of April, and although the ap­pearance of similar detachments was not uncommon, these so far attracted the attention of Mr. Gerry, that he despatched an express to Colonel Hancock, who, with Samuel Adams, was at Lexington.  The messenger passed the officers, by taking a by-path, and delivered his letter. The idea of per­sonal danger does not seem to have made any strong impres­sion on either of these gentlemen. Mr. Hancock's answer to Mr. Gerry bears marks of the haste with which it was written, while it discovers that habitual politeness on the part of the writer, which neither haste or danger could impair!




                                                          Lexington, April 18th, 1775.

Dear Sir,

I am much obliged for your notice. It is said the officers are gone to Concord, and I will send word thither. I am full with you, that we ought to be serious, and I hope your decision will be effectual. I intend doing myself the plea­sure of being with you to-morrow. My respects to the


                                      I am your real friend,

                                                          John Hancock.



Mr. Gerry and Colonel Orne retired to rest, without ta­king the least precaution against personal exposure, and they remained quietly in their beds, until the British advance were within view of the dwelling house. It was a fine moon­light night, and they quietly marked the glittering of its beams, on the polished arms of the soldiers, as the troops moved with the silence and regularity of accomplished discip­line. The front passed on. When the centre were opposite to the house, occupied by the committee, an officer and file of men were detached by signal, and marched towards it. It was not until this moment they entertained any apprehension of danger. While the officer was posting his files, the gen­tlemen found means, by their better knowledge of the premi­ses, to escape, half dressed as they were, into an adjoining cornfield, where they remained concealed for move than an hour, until the troops were withdrawn. Every apartment of the house was searched 'for the members of the rebel con­gress;' even the beds in which they had lain were examined. But their property, and among other things, a valuable watch of Mr. Gerry's, which was under his pillow, was not dis­turbed."


A few days after the skirmishes at Lexington and Concord, the provincial congress re-assembled. It was now apparent that the controversy must be decided by force of arms. At this time, it was found that almost every article of a military kind was yet to be procured. The province possessed no magazines of arms, and had little ammunition. No contracts for provision or clothing had yet been made. To meet these exigencies, a committee, at the head of which was Mr. Gerry, was immediately appointed, and clothed with the proper power. The article most needed was that of gun­powder, to procure which, Mr. Gerry was specially commis­sioned by the committee. In the discharge of this duty, he wrote many letters to gentlemen in different parts of the country, from whom he received others in reply. One of these will be found in the life of Robert Treat Paine, in a preceding page. Mr. Gerry did more: in many cases he hesitated not to advance his own funds, where immediate payment was required. In the progress of the war, the evidence of these payments was lost, or mislaid, and their final settlement was attended with heavy pecuniary loss.


On the 17th day of June, was fought the celebrated battle of Bunker Hill. The provincial congress was at that time in session, at Watertown. Before the battle, Dr. Joseph Warren, president of the congress, who was the companion and room mate of Mr. Gerry, communicated to the latter his intention of mingling in the expected contest. The night preceding the doctor's departure for Bunker Hill, he lodged, it is said, in tthe same bed with Mr. Gerry. In the morning, in reply to the admonitions of his friend, as he was about to leave he uttered the well known words, "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori."*


Mr. Gerry, on that day, attended the provincial congress. His brave friend, as is well known, followed where his duty called him, to the memorable "heights of Bunker," where he fell fighting for the cause of liberty and his country.


At an early period in 1775, Mr. Gerry submitted a propo­sal in the provincial congress of Massachusetts, for a law to encourage the fitting out of armed vessels, and to provide for the adjudication of prizes. This was a step of no small im­portance. To grant letters of marque and of reprisal, is the prerogative of the sovereign. For a colony to authorise such an act, was rebellious, if not treasonable. The proposal was sustained, though not without opposition. Mr. Gerry was chairman of the committee appointed to prepare the act to authorise privateering, and to establish admiralty courts. Governor Sullivan was another member of it; and on these two gentlemen devolved the task of drawing the act, which they executed in a small room under the belfry of the Water-town meeting house, in which the provincial congress was holding its session. This law, John Adams pronounced one of the most important measures of the Revolution. Under the sanction of it, the Massachusetts cruizers captured many of the enemy's vessels, the cargoes of which furnished various articles of necessity to the colonies,


Of the court of admiralty, established in pursuance of the law proposed by Mr. Gerry, that gentleman himself was ap­pointed a judge, for the counties of Suffolk, Middlesex, and Essex. This honour, however, he declined, from a determi­nation to devote himself to more active duties.


To such duties, he was not long after called, by the suffra­ges of his fellow citizens, who elected him a delegate from Massachusetts to the continental congress, in which body he took his seat, on the 9th of February, 1776. For this distinguished station he was eminently fitted; and of this body he continued a member with few intervals, until September, 1785. Our limits preclude a minute notice of the various duties which he there discharged. On various occa­sions he was appointed to serve on committees, whose business required great labour, and whose results involved the highest interests of the country. He assisted in arranging the plan of a general hospital, and of introducing a better discipline into the army; and regulating the commissary's departments. In' several instances, he was appointed, with others, to visit the army, to examine the state of the money and finances of the country, and to expedite the settlement of public accounts. In the exercise of his various official functions, no man exhibited more fidelity, or a more unweari­ed zeal. He sustained the character of an active and resolute statesman, and retired from the councils of the confederacy, with all the honours which patriotism, integrity, and talents, could acquire in the service of the state. Before leaving New-York, he married a respectable lady, who had been educated in Europe, with whom he now returned to Massa­chusetts, and fixed his residence at Cambridge, a few miles from Boston.


From the quiet of retirement, Mr. Gerry was again sum­moned in 1787, by his native state, as one of its representa­tives to a convention, called for the "sole and express pur­pose of revising the articles of confederation, and reporting to congress, and to the several legislatures, such alterations and provisions as shall render the federal constitution ade­quate to the exigencies of government, and the preservation of the union."


On the meeting of this convention, little difference of opinion prevailed, as to the great principles which should form the basis of the constitution; but on reducing these principles to a system, perfect harmony did exist. To Mr. Gerry, as well as others, there appeared strong objections to the constitution, and he declined affixing his signature to the instrument. These objections he immediately set forth, in a letter addressed to his constituents, in which he observes :

  "My principal objections to the plan are, that there is no adequate provision for a representation of the people; that they have no security for the right of election; that some of the powers of the legislature are ambiguous, and others in­definite and dangerous; that the executive is blended with, and will have an undue influence over, the legislature; that the judicial department will be oppressive; that treaties of the highest importance may be formed by the president, with the advice of two thirds of a quorum of the senate; and that the system is without the security of a bill of rights. These are objections which are not local, but apply equally to all the states.


" As the convention was called for 'the sole and express purpose of revising the articles of confederation, and report­ing to congress and to the several legislatures, such altera­tions and provisions as shall render the federal constitution adequate to the exigencies of government, and the preserva­tion of the union,' I did not conceive that these powers ex­tended to the formation of the plan proposed; but the con­vention being of a different opinion, I acquiesced in it; being fully convinced, that to preserve the union, an efficient go­vernment was indispensably necessary; and that it would be difficult to make proper amendments to the articles of con­federation."


" The constitution proposed has few, if any, federal fea­tures, but is rather a system of national government; never­theless, in many respects, I think it has great merit, and, by proper amendments, may be adapted to 'the exigencies of government,' and the preservation of liberty."


When the constitution was submitted to the state conven­tion of Massachusetts, of three hundred and sixty members, of which that body consisted, a majority of nineteen only were in favour of its ratification. Although so many coin­cided with Mr. Gerry in his views of the constitution, he was highly censured by its advocates, who, under the excitement of party feelings, imputed to him motives by which he, pro­bably, was not actuated.


Under the new constitution, Mr. Gerry was chosen by the inhabitants of the district in which he resided, as their representative to congress. In this station he served his consti­tuents for four years; and, although he had formerly opposed the adoption of the constitution, he now cheerfully united in carrying it into effect, since it had received the sanction of his country. Indeed, he took occasion, on the floor of con­gress, not long after taking his seat in that body, to declare, "that the federal constitution having become the supreme law of the land, he conceived the salvation of the country depended on its being carried into effect."


At the expiration of the above period, although again pro­posed as a delegate to congress, he declined a re-election, and again retired to his family at Cambridge.


On the fourth of March, 1797, Mr. Adams, who had pre­viously been elected to succeed General Washington in the presidency, entered upon that office. France had already commenced her aggressions on the rights and commerce of the United States, and General Pinckney had been dispatch­ed to that country, to adjust existing differences.


Immediately upon   succeeding   to  the  presidency,   Mr. Adams received intelligence that the French  republic had announced  to General Pinckney its determination "not to receive another minister from the United States, until after

the redress of grievances."


In this state of things, the president convened congress by proclamation, on the fifteenth of June. Although keenly sensible of the indignity offered to the country by the French government, Mr. Adams, in his speech to congress, informed that body,

"that as he believed neither the honour, nor the interests of the United States, absolutely forbade the repeti­tion of advances for securing peace and friendship with France, he should institute a fresh attempt at negotiation."


Upon his recommendation, therefore, three envoys extra­ordinary, Mr. Gerry, General Pinckney, and Mr. Marshall, were dispatched to carry into effect the pacific dispositions of the United States. On their arrival at Paris, the French di­rectory, under various pretexts, delayed to acknowledge them in their official capacity. In the mean time, the tools of that government addressed them, demanding, in explicit terms, a large sum of money, as the condition of any negociation. This being refused, an attempt was next made to excite their fears for themselves, and their country. In the

spring of 1798, two of the envoys, Messrs. Pinckney and Marshall, were ordered to quit the territories of France, while Mr. Gerry was invited to remain, and resume the negociation which had been suspended.


Although Mr. Gerry accepted the invitation to remain, yet he uniformly and resolutely refused to resume the negocia­tion. His object in remaining in France was to prevent an immediate rupture with that country, which, it was appre­hended, would result from his departure. Although he was censured, at the time, for the course he took, his continuance seems to have resulted in the good of his country. "He finally saved the peace of the nation," said the late President Adams, " for he alone discovered and furnished the evidence that X. Y. and Z. were employed by Talleyrand; and he alone brought home the direct, formal, and official assurances upon which the subsequent commission proceeded, and peace was made."


On his return to America, in October, 1798, Mr. Gerry was solicited, by the republican party in Massachusetts, to become their candidate for the office of governor. At that period, much excitement prevailed on the subject of politics, throughout the country. Although at first unsuccessful, his party, in 1805, for the first time, obtained the governor of their choice.


In the following year, Mr. Gerry retired. But in 1810, he was again chosen chief magistrate of that commonwealth, in which office he was continued for the two following years. In 1812, he was recommended to the people of the United States, by the republican members of congress, to fill the office of vice president. To a letter addressed to him, by a committee announcing his nomination, he replied, "The question respecting the acceptance, or non-acceptance of this proposition, involved many considerations of great weight, in my mind; as they related to the nation, to this state, and to my domestic concerns. But it is neither expedient or necessary to state the points, since one was paramount to the rest, that ‘in a republic, the service of each citizen is due to the state, even in profound peace, and much more so when. the nation stands on the threshold of war.' I have the honour frankly to acknowledge this distinguished testimony of confidence, on the part of my congressional friends and fellow citizens, gratefully to accept their proffer, and freely to assure them of every exertion in my power, for meriting in office, the approbation of themselves and of the public."


The nomination of Mr. Gerry, thus made, was followed by his election, and on the fourth of March, 1813, he was inau­gurated vice president of the United States. Providence, however, had not destined him to the long enjoyment of the dignified station which he now held. While attending to his duties, at Washington, he was suddenly summoned from the scene of his earthly labours. A beautiful monument, erected at the national expense, covers his remains, and records the date and circumstances of his death.



Vice President of the United States,
       Who died suddenly, in this city, on his way to the

Capitol, as President of the Senate,

              November 23d, 1814.

         Aged 70.




* It is sweet and glorious to lay down life for one's country.


Courtesy of Family Books and CDs